Nausea and vomiting are common symptoms that can be caused by numerous conditions in both children and adults. Nausea and vomiting most often are due to viral gastroenteritis, stomach flu, or the morning sickness of early pregnancy.
Many medications can also cause nausea and vomiting, as can general anesthesia for surgery. If symptoms persist, call north Atlanta’s best gastroenterologists, Digestive Care Physicians.
- Nausea: Nausea is a term that describes the feeling that you might vomit, but are not actually vomiting.
- Vomiting: Vomiting is an uncontrollable reflex that expels the contents of the stomach through the mouth. It is also called “being sick,” or “throwing up.”
Nausea and vomiting may occur separately or together. Common causes include:
|Alcohol Use Disorder||Gastroparesis||Viral Gastroenteritis|
|Cholecystitis||Crohn’s Disease||Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome|
|Intestinal Ischemia||Intestinal Obstruction||Irritable Bowel Syndrome|
|Liver Cancer||Pancreatic Cancer||Irritable Bowel Disease|
|Peptic Ulcer||Pancreatitis||Celiac Disease|
- Take it easy
- Stay hydrated
- Avoid strong odors and other triggers
- Eat bland food
- Use over-the-counter (OTC) motion sickness medicines
When to Seek Treatment
- Vomiting lasts more than two days for adults, 24 hours for children under age 2 or 12 hours for infants.
- You’ve had bouts of Nausea and/or Vomiting for longer than one month.
- You’ve experienced unexplained weight loss along with Nausea and Vomiting.
Seek immediate medical attention if:
- Nausea and/or Vomiting is accompanied by pain or a severe headache
- Unable to eat or drink for 12 hours or a child cannot keep liquids down for eight hours
- Symptoms of dehydration including excessive thirst, dry mouth, infrequent urination, dark-colored urine with weakness, dizziness, or light headedness upon standing
- Vomit contains blood, resembles coffee grounds, or is green
Call 911 or go to the Emergency Room if:
- Chest pain
- Severe Abdominal Pain or cramping
- Blurred vision
- Cold, clammy, pale skin
- High fever and stiff neck
- Fecal material or fecal odor in the vomit
Board-Certified physicians Dr. Ranvir Singh, Dr. Stephen Rashbaum, Dr. Nitin J. Parikh, Dr. Long B. Nguyen, Dr. Ruth Montalvo, Dr. Jae Kim, and providers Tammi D’Elena, PA-C and Vanessa T. Bridgeman, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC; care for patients in the North Atlanta, GA; area including Johns Creek, GA, Cumming, GA, Lawrenceville, GA, Alpharetta, GA, and Dawsonville, GA. The in-house endoscopy suite at Digestive Care Physicians is a certified facility which has achieved the highest level of accreditation by the Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). If you suffer from gastrointestinal problems, abdominal pain, or need a colorectal cancer screening, contact us at (770) 227-2222 to schedule an appointment.