Whole grains have been consumed for thousands of years.
A high intake of refined grains can be linked to health problems like obesity and inflammation. Whole grains are a completely different ballgame.
There are legitimate, overriding health benefits to eating whole grains, including a lower risk of diabetes, heart disease and high blood pressure.
Whole Grains Defined
They are the seeds of grass-like plants called cereals, and some non-grass plants. They can be rolled, crushed or cracked, but as long as the bran, endosperm, and germ are still present in their original proportion, they’re considered whole grains.
The many kinds of whole grains include Oatmeal, Popcorn, Millet, Quinoa, Brown and Wild Rice, Barley and Wheat. Products made from these foods are considered whole grain foods. These include bread, pasta and some breakfast cereals.
Main Health Benefits of Whole Grains include:
- Whole grains deliver a variety of important nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber and other healthy plant compounds.
- Eating whole grains can lower the risk of heart disease, especially when they replace refined grains.
- Whole grains help lower the risk of stroke.
- A lower risk of obesity.
- They help lower the risk of type two diabetes.
- Whole grains help support healthy digestion.
- Eating whole grains regularly could help lower inflammation, a key factor in many chronic diseases.
- Whole grains may help prevent colorectal cancer.
- They are linked to a lower risk of dying prematurely from any cause.
Take This Message Home
Whole grains deliver a wide variety of health benefits.
There are many ways to work whole grains into your diet. Replacing refined grains with whole grains is a good place to start.
Digestive Care Physicians has five locations throughout the Atlanta area where we help our patients live their best life possible. We have five physicians and helpful, highly qualified staff members spread throughout our locations in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Cumming, Dawsonville and Lawrenceville. We proudly see patients from Roswell, Milton, Duluth, Canton, Suwanee, Sandy Springs, Marietta and communities throughout the Atlanta area. Our offices have cutting-edge diagnostic tools. Call us today to book an appointment.
All of the information shared above is intended to be used for general purposes only. Do not confuse any of the information provided as a substitute for a diagnosis or replacement for care. You can call us to book a consultation for any non-emergency concerns that you have.
© 2018 Digestive Care Physicians. All rights reserved.